Saturday, May 19

Biblical Concept Art - Amalekite Soldiers

I haven't forgotten about this blog--I've just been sneaking around working on stuff, not feeling ready to reveal it all just yet.

This time around, I've taken a much slower pace. One reason is I'm not doing this for school, or even for a client, so I can slow down and make sure I do it right.

Outside of the realm of Nebuchadnezzar, you have to do a lot more detailed research. At the same time, I've been growing as an artist, as a Christian, and as a student of the Word, so I'm looking more intently at things I breezed past and missed before.


THE AMALEKITES

Continuing the recent trend, here is some concept art about another Gentile nation: the Amalekites.

The Amalekites are perhaps the most despised group of Canaanites, because they were the first to attack Israel. Every time the Bible mentions an Amalekite, that Amalekite is doing evil.

When God states that He will utterly destroy a nation, finding reference is quite literally impossible! So, you just have to make something up, and that's exactly what I did.

It seems weird depicting a nation that God set Himself so strongly against, but it is necessary to depict the stories they're in. In my mind, this nation, like so many others, serves the purpose of revealing something about the Israelites and about God in His dealing with them. He didn't want these guys left in the Promised Land to reek havoc and destruction on His people.


When think of the Amalekites, I think of my own sin. It is destructive like the Amalekites were, and I am foolish for not always viewing it that way.


However, when I see such a despicable and wicked people group, I also think of God's overpowering mercy. My Bible reads that the blood of Christ will ransom people from every tribe and tongue and nation (Rev. 5:9). "Every" includes the Amalekites.


One Amalekite, perhaps more--perhaps many, many, many more--will stand among the ransomed multitudes and forever worship the Lamb who's blood has secured their pardon...

...And perhaps inform me this design wasn't even close.


No comments: