Saturday, March 15

Enoch


The next guy listed in Hebrews 11 is Enoch. Originally, I planned to skip him, but one of the other leaders needed a catch-up week with her group, so he ended up on the schedule for the other groups.

Enoch was a part of the line descending from Seth, the son Adam and Eve considered a replacement for Abel. When Seth became a father, people began to call upon the name of the Lord. Four generations later, Enoch was born. When Enoch's son Methuselah was born, Enoch walked with God for 300 years, and then God took him. Enoch never died (quite the contrast after talking about Abel).

What stood out to me when I was preparing this one is the legacy of faithfulness it seems Enoch was a part of. His great, great grandfather, Seth, definitely seemed to live by faith, as Seth's older brother Abel had. The generations between Seth and Enoch also probably lived by faith—all of them were still around when Enoch came on the scene. It reminded me of the examples my parents and grandparents set for me, and the examples I and the other leaders try to set for these kids.

The night Enoch was supposed to be covered was pretty rough. It gets that way sometimes. I'll spare you the details, but it meant only two guys heard about Enoch. These two are the smallest and youngest guys in the age group. They are also the biggest leaders. They are good examples for the rest of us, myself included, so I told them Enoch's story, challenged them to continue walking by faith, and we all went home.

Enoch's life is defined by the verb “walk,” so instead of a sketch, I figured I ought to do a walk cycle (good practice). The important parts of Enoch's “walk” are the parts that can't be animated, of course, but this slow, leisurely stroll should suffice. I had the rig walk off-screen so, like Enoch, at the end of his walk....he's gone.
 



         *Malcolm character courtesy of AnimSchool.com

No comments: