Saturday, March 29

Noah

That next week, we wrapped up the pre-flood people with good ol' Noah. Enoch had Methuselah, and Methuselah had Lamech before God took Enoch. Not long after that, Lamech had a son. He called him Noah, saying “Out of the ground that the Lord has cursed, this one shall brings us relief from our work and from the painful toil of our hands.” (Gen. 5:29) That seems to have happened in Gen. 8:21.

Man had become extremely corrupt in God's sight, and He determined to destroy the earth. He told Noah to make an ark. The flood He was bringing would destroy everything on earth, but He would establish His covenant with Noah and his family. Here's how Noah responded: Noah obeyed.

Noah's obedience was pretty important, wouldn't you say? I'm personally very grateful he decided to listen to what God told him to do and do it. Things have a funny tendancy of working out better that way.

The other thing I wanted the guys in my group to pay attention to is this word covenant. It shows up a lot. In Noah's story, God made two. The first was protecting Noah and his family in the Flood. The second was that He would never again destroy all the earth with a flood. God set a rainbow as the sign of this covenant. I like the way the Bible words it, “I have set
My bow in the cloud...” (Gen. 9:13a). It's not just any bow, it's His bow. When I read Revelation 4:3, I find a rainbow surrounding the throne, and I remember this story.

So, let's see what this obedience of Noah's probably looked like. Hint: It looks like a lot of hard work. Here's a quick animation cycle of a character hammering a nail into the ark. I set all the curves on “cycle post-infinity,” so it's going to take him a while.


*Malcolm character courtesy of AnimSchool.com